Thursday, May 31, 2012

Biking Bro

Biking Bro
From time to time the Bettys might bike with men folk. We have gleaned many a good tip from our male riders but there are times they can be a bit intimidating.
Please enter, Bro, who happens to be my husband and rider extraordinaire! He loves long and steep rides like Bridge to Bridge, Assault on Mt. Mitchell and Blood, Sweat and Gears (why would you do a ride that has blood and assault in the title?).  I’m just saying there might be some screws loose to sign up and pay for such a ride. Anyhoo, the bottom line is I can’t keep up with him and have NO desire to try. He has his Bros and I have my Bettys.  Just the other day, I was complaining about a hard and hilly route the Bettys always do and he said, “that route doesn’t have any hills.” Uh, excuse me. YES IT DOES! Hence our realities are very different.

 Bro preparing himself for the ride with the Bettys.

However, there are times our biking worlds come together like when he needs a recovery ride or he is desperate not to go by himself. 
That being said, Barbie and I planned a Sunday morning ride and because Bro didn’t get to ride on Saturday he decided to join us. I wish you could have seen Barbie’s eyes pop out of her head when we went to pick her up and Bro got out of the car to put her bike on the rack. WHAT???? The fear being, we are going to be going way too fast on this 40 mile ride and I will not be able to keep up.
So we started the sand-bagging with Bro immediately. We are going to be slow and you can go ahead of us and wait at the turns. We don’t have our climbing legs so just wait for us at the top. Whatever you do DON’T push us because we are going at our speed and our speed only! Got it?
So off we go, a 40 mile out and back bike ride. The weather was perfect and traffic was nil. I thought we were going fairly fast but notice Bro starts riding without his hands. This was disheartening for a couple of reasons,  A) because we are so slow he can continue to lead us without his hands on the handle bars and B) who has the balance to take your hands off of the bars? Barbie and I were a little in awe and little pissy too.

Barbie and Bro checking out the scenery.
Barbie and I are huffing and puffing especially up any type of incline. We get to the turnaround spot and I will have to say, I was dreading going back. I was done with the ride and tired out of my mind. Thankfully, the ride home was faster and not so boring. The scenery was even more beautiful on the way home. I wish you could get the full effect from this picture because it reminded me of how lucky we were to have such a picturesque area to ride.
We made it back to the car and Bro decided he hadn’t gone far or fast enough so he rode the 25 miles back home just to remind us who’s the Bro and who’s the Betty!

Blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment