Thursday, May 17, 2012

New Bikes!

We have a new edition to the family; Black Betty has a new bike, not just any bike but a triathlon specific bike.  In honor of its size, we have changed Black Betty’s name to Barbie Betty because the bike is Barbie size (XS) and it’s even got some pink accents to make the true Barbie proud. Too bad you can't see the pink in the picture.
Barbie Betty's new Trek
The new bike is a Trek Speed Concept! Barbie tested this hot rod out a few weeks ago and she marveled at its smooth ride.
For example, our first “test” ride came after work on a beautiful spring afternoon. The sun was shining, the temperature was perfect and the WIND was blowing at 15 mph (we don’t live at the beach). Ahhhhhh!  Barbie rode that bike in the aero position 95% of the time and acted like it was no big deal. FYI, she’s never ridden in the aero position before so this was a huge accomplishment especially since we were blown all over the place. While we only went 20 miles, it was a perfect testimony to the handling of this sweet ride. Needless to say, she bought it!

Barbie Betty practicing in the aero position

So you know what that means?
 I had to get one just like Barbie! So off I went to Ken’s Bike Shop and asked them to order me a Barbie bike too. Unfortunately, I am not Barbie size so mine is not cute (read XS) or pink. My size came in colors of black and silver, maybe I should be Black Betty?

Blonde Betty's Trek with Biking Bro (more on him to follow) in the background.

Anyway, my bike came in and the fitter at Ken’s, Charlie, is amazing. He took a ton of time with me, fitting me just right. He explained this was a process that took a lot of tweaking! I also have issues with the saddle and during the fitting alone, I went through 2 seats. Physiologically something must be haywire down there. Barbie and Brown NEVER have issues like me. I felt like Goldilocks trying out beds. This one is too soft, this one too hard, this hurts in the front and this one in the middle! Okay, so I have settled on a more narrow saddle that in and of itself looks like a torture device because of the misplaced curves but so far it is causing the least amount of pain. I am not saying this saddle is “the one” but it’s a contender.

This is the Bontrager Nebula Plus WSD


While it may sound like Barbie and I have, on a whim, decided to get new bikes, we have been looking for months and talking for a year about upgrading to a TT bike. We want and need all the help we can get speed wise from our bikes. These bikes will come in mighty handy in a triathlon and will put us hopefully, in the middle of the pack and not at the end of the pack.
Blonde Betty


 

No comments:

Post a Comment