Friday, September 7, 2012

Bakery Ride


I was laying on the couch reading the editor’s note in Bicycling (August) by Peter Flax and he mentioned his ride through a Mennonite community and I wanted to read more about his experience but he segue-wayed into his hot dog ride which I liked too but it wasn’t what I wanted to read. Then it hit me, wait a minute, I have my own experience with the Amish community. 

My first encounter was a couple of years ago when Barbie and I were on a very tough ride when we found ourselves passing a horse and buggy. It looked like a family coming back from church. The only thing I could see was a straw hat. We were shocked and found ourselves waving and saying hello as if we were star struck.

Fast forward two years, Bob and I decide to do the Bakery Ride. It’s a destination ride (which I love to do) where you ride to the Amish bakery (pray they are open) eat a fruit turnover and ride back. Barbie and I did this ride with Bro earlier in the spring but the bakery was closed. I was looking so forward to the turnover treat. Ahhhh! Anyway, Bob and I are having a great ride and about 18 miles into our ride, I look over and there is an Amish girl in full skirt to the ground along with apron and bonnet mowing the yard with a lawnmower nicer than mine at home and she is barefooted. I almost fell off the back of my bike and if it hadn’t been so politically incorrect, I would have stopped and taken her picture. I couldn’t believe my eyes on all levels. It was no less than 85 degrees at 9:00 a.m. in the morning. and SHE was mowing not HE.  What the??? This was totally freaking me out like I was in the twilight zone.


Bob and I were stunned when in the next instant we look up and here comes the oddest little cart with horse, it was not a buggy, but a love seat type of cart with two young girls holding the reigns. We waved and said hello and they waved.  As they passed, I turned around to give them the once over and the youngest of the two was doing the same thing to us. She was looking over her shoulder at this crazy lady in tight black pants and psychedelic jersey! Don’t you know she was thinking, HOW could you and WHY would you ride a bike in that get-up! Ha. Bob and I were so cracked up we had a hard time holding a straight line.  What a dichotomy in cultures and I’m sure there are plenty of pictures where the two have crossed but this would have been priceless.


We continued on our way around the bend and found the bakery. It is run by a family who are familiar with bikers and even the name of the ride. 



Wall of hats at the Amish bakery
Bob and I each had a turnover and relaxed on the front porch. The son of the owner was interested in our bikes and wanted to know all about the components. I asked if he rode much and he said just from farm to farm. He said they would never ride competitively against each other. He was as friendly as could be and I wanted to continue to talk with him but knew I would just embarrass myself with stupid questions. 

Bob and I cruised home and had a great ride fueled by sweet homemade goodness. What could be better than that?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good ride and fun adventure!
    Enjoyed the post.
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete